Shiitake mushroom (Lentinula Edodes) originated in East Asia and is one of the most widely enjoyed mushroom varieties across the world. This fungus is edible which grows naturally on decaying deciduous trees
Shiitake mushrooms have a rich, earthy ‘umami’ flavour and a distinctive taste best described as meaty that is used for a variety of savoury Asian inspired dishes. It’s large caps that measure 2 to 5 inches in diameter, and they vary in colour from light to brown with pale cream lamella or gill.
Shiitake Mushrooms are a good source of key vitamins and minerals: vitamin D, copper, selenium, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, potassium, manganese, magnesium, iron and phosphorus.
Nutrients per Serving (One-half cup) of raw shiitake mushrooms contains: 34 calories, 2.5 g protein, 0.5g fat, 7g carbohydrates, 3g fibre, 0mg cholesterol, and 9mg sodium.
The health benefits of Shiitake mushrooms are numerous and have been used in traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Eastern Russian medicine for its health-boosting properties..
Compounds found in Shiitake mushrooms may help to prevent and fight-off cancer, along with boosting the body’s immunity, improve overall well-being, encourage longevity and promote good heart health. Here’s scientifically proven benefits of Shiitake:
1. Supports Immune System - shiitake has a high nutrient content which includes vital vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that makes it a potent immune booster
2. Prevents Obesity -shiitake mushroom has chemical components such as eritadenine and l-glucan, which are fat-reducing properties
3. Kills Cancer Cells -Some research has indicated the potency of shiitake mushrooms in fighting cancer cells. Shiitake mushroom is capable of inhibiting growth in tumour cells through microchemical actions. This indicates that shiitake mushrooms could be a potent natural treatment for cancer.
4. Increases Energy and Brain Functions - this mushroom has a high level of B vitamins and supports adrenal functions. It helps convert nutrients from food into energy. Furthermore, it improves hormonal balance. Increases focus and cognitive functions.
5. An excellent source of Vitamin D - vitamin D is essential for healthy bone and teeth formation and minimizes diabetes, cardiovascular disease as well as autoimmune diseases.
6. Improves Skin Health -this fungus is a good source of selenium, vitamin A and vitamin E which helps alleviate acne and deteriorating effect on the skin.