This cream of mushroom soup is a one-pot recipe that is quick, easy and tasty!.
- 200 to 250 grams button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 pinches ground nutmeg powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons cream
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped herbs such as parsley, coriander leaves, thyme or basil
- black pepper and salt to season
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chopped herbs, such as parsley or coriander to garnish
InstructionsSautéing onions and garlic...
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, add in the bay leaf and sauté for about 2 to 3 seconds. Add the finely chopped onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions soften and become translucent.
Add the sliced or chopped mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms start to release water. Keep sautéing until all of the water dries up and the mushrooms become a light golden colour. Add the flour and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on a low to medium-low flame whilst stirring often. Then add freshly crushed black pepper and mix well.
Add water first followed by milk. Stir well and season with salt. On a low to medium-low flame let the soup come to gentle simmer first. The mushroom soup will begin to thicken. Stir at intervals. Simmer for about 4 to 5 minutes till the soup thickens more. Then add the cream and chopped herbs. Simmer the mushroom soup or 1 to 2 minutes more stirring often. Lastly, sprinkle ground nutmeg powder and stir. Switch off the flame and pour the soup in individual serving bowls. Serve the cream of mushroom soup steaming hot garnished with parsley or coriander.